Non-stop learning and improvement is the basis for success in design. We deeply believe in it here in Tubik Studio and do our best to keep up with the ideas of the best designers, psychologists, UX/UI researchers and other masters whose work provides the best practices and practical tips on design. Reading and discussing them regularly, we can absorb the experience of well-known experts and combine it with the latest trends in design sphere.
Recently we shared our ideas on the lists of useful books for designers at Quora and seeing that this topic is on demand now, our team decided to go further collecting and sharing the list of books here as well.
Quora profile of Tubik Studio content manager Marina, who is already among the Most Viewed Writers
So, welcome to the first room of our virtual library, with the book list on UX, UI and HCI. Certainly, this theme division is quite relative as most books mentioned here more or less deal on the crossroads of all the spheres mentioned. Here’s the list of books for you in the random order.
User Experience Design (UX) and Usability
- Steve Krug «Don’t make me think»
- Steve Krug «Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems»
- Don Norman «The Design of Everyday Things»
- Don Norman «Emotional Design: Why we love (or hate) everyday things»
- Russ Unger, Carolyn Chandler «A Project Guide to UX Design»
- William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler «Universal Principles of Design»
- Cennydd Bowles, James Box «Undercover User Experience Design»
- Rex Hartson, Pardha Pyla «The UX Book»
- Jesmond Allen, James Chudley «Smashing UX Design»
- Susan Weinschenk «100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People» and «100 MORE Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People»
- Jesse James Garrett «The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web and Beyond»
- UX-Pin team «UX Design Process Best Practices»; «Timeless UX Design Trends», «The User Experience Guide Book For Product Managers», «User Testing and Design»; «10 Pro Tips for Smarter UX Design Process»
- Bill Buxton «Sketching User Experiences: Getting the Design Right and the Right Design (Interactive Technologies)»
- Jakob Nielsen «Designing Web Usability»
- Thomas Tullis, William Albert «Measuring the User Experience: Collecting, Analyzing, and Presenting Usability Metrics (Interactive Technologies)»
- Richard Caddick «Communicating the User Experience: A Practical Guide for Creating Useful UX Documentation»
- Barbara Ballard «Designing the Mobile User Experience»
User Interface (UI)
- Jenifer Tidwell «Designing Interfaces»
- Daniel Wigdor, Dennis Wixon Brave «NUI World: Designing Natural User Interfaces for Touch and Gesture»
- Stephen P. Anderson «Seductive Interaction Design: Creating Playful, Fun, and Effective User Experiences»
- Steven Hoober, Eric Berkman «Designing Mobile Interfaces»
- Jeff Johnson «Designing with the Mind in Mind: Simple Guide to Understanding User Interface Design Rules»
- UX-Pin team «Tactical UI design Patterns», «The Visual Storyteller’s Guide to Web UI Design», «Color Theory in Web UI Design» «Web UI Design for the Human Eye»
- Everett N McKay «UI is Communication»
Human-Computer Interaction (HCI)
- Bill Moggridge «Designing Interactions»
- Jenny Preece, Yvonne Rogers, Helen Sharp «Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction»
- Mads Soegaard, Rikke Friis Dam «The Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction»
- Dan Saffer «Designing for Interaction»
- Ben Shneiderman, Catherine Plaisant «Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction»
- Alan Dix, Janet Finlay, Gregory D. Abowd, Russell Beale «Human-Computer Interaction»
- Alan Cooper «About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design»
- Giles Colborne «Simple and Usable Web, Mobile, and Interaction Design»
- Marianne Rudisill, Clayton Lewis, Peter G. Polson «Human-Computer Interface Design: Success Stories, Emerging Methods, and Real-World Context»
- Stuart Card «The Psychology of Human-Computer Interaction»
- UX-Pin team «Interaction Design Best Practices» «Interaction Design & Complex Animations»
Certainly, this list is to be continued again and again as soon as we discover new great books and take a chance of sharing them with you. Some of the publications mentioned above are already referred as classic in the field of UX/UI/HCI. Nevertheless, although design in general has changed in different ways through the last years, this books still could not be regarded as out-of-date as they are still actual and create a solid foundation for designers self-development.
We also suppose that not only designers but also project and sales managers dealing with design tasks have to take their time on reading some of those books so that they could get better understanding of the processes and tools and provide more efficient impact as well as closer communication with customers.
Hopefully, for those designers who have their hands full with tasks as we usually do this list will save some time and effort on browsing and surfing the net in search of recommendations. In our later posts we will provide the detailed reviews on the books we find helpful and useful. Also, we welcome you to read our previous posts with famous quotes on usability and design.
Originally written for tubikstudio.com
Welcome to Tubik Blog